Your first touch with Sensible Soccer?

More
10 years 7 months ago #119601 by andib
Started back in the early 90 s playing sensible Soccer with a friend on amiga almost every day with WICO-joystick! and had a break for 10 - 12 years or so.

Fortunatly another friend of mine showed me this page last year in May, and I guess you could say I have played SWOS pretty much since. Online and offline.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #119603 by Pallister
Played Sensible Soccer at first in 1992. Since then I can t remember a single month where I didn t played that wonderful game :)

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #122616 by insomniacro
I found swos pc demo on a cd of a croatian computer magazine in early 97 when i was 10 (i played microprose soccer on c64 before that).
I could only play as Blackburn vs Man utd.It was pretty hard to learn how to play ,i took me 50 matches to even see the opposition gk.
(After a year i pressed page down by accident and discovered that i can make substitutions ;D ;D)
And when i scored for the first time (Shearer, my favorite striker of all time, i have his newcastle shirt on my beadroom wall in my room, guess why ;D I asked everyone if they ever heard for this game and where can i get the full version, but no luck ,noobody ever heard of swos.
I was stuck with that demo that I played at least 10 000 times.

Then in 2001 or 2002 i ordered compilation cd with games from my local pirate(btw he said that he never heard of swos and didnt have that game).There was a bunch of games on that disk in zip archives ,and amongt them was SWOS ece and swos 96/97 pc version, the funny thing is swos wasn t even on the game list of that cd , i found it by accident.Then the addiction kicked in again and i played it for months , i couldnt belive the number of leagues in the game.

Then in 2003-2004 when i got an internet connection , i learned about amiga swos ect....
In the last few years I only play amiga version.

Still the best football game ever!

I have wet dreams about a new swos version with proper online multyplayer and fixed bugs (players value ,money shortage , cpu transfers ect...) :-[

never say never!!! ;)

More
8 years 5 months ago #130805 by Playaveli
^^ nice to read...

More
6 years 10 months ago #137324 by Playaveli
New members, more stories? :)

• petarku
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 5 months ago #138210 by petarku
Replied by petarku on topic Re: Your first touch with Sensible Soccer?
Hi guys ,
I started with first version of sensible soccer on amiga.
Then it was 1.1 and euro and every new version all the way, then first swos and until ultimate 96/97 version.
I also got some unofficial 97/98 update from local store as I am from eastern europe all what we were getting there were cracked games ...

I was playing a lot , mostly alone using career mode as i got broken the mouse port on amiga when my friend came with some sega joypad to play swos in 2 :)
I have xbla version which i really like as i am playing a lot locally with friends and on my own , i like enhanced graphic there (minus whirl effect when you score) and it is proper hard to score version.
I managed to port your 2016/17 update there as i have rgh hacked console ... I have swos on sony vita as well using the emulator and it is playing great. I guess i am qualifying as a proper fan ;)

There is so many things that is done so well in this game ,
Gameplay : the things that you feel how players characteristic have their influence on the pitch, aftertouch, headers, tackles, learning curve
Menu: how is fast to choose your team , how when you finish diy tournament , when you replay the tournament you get different opponent first round .
world of soccer : you have every team that existed there
Not the mention swos career mode that you keep coming back to do one more season

I was mentioning in the other thread about sociable soccer , a lot of people coming there wishing actually to be like swos , 20 years ago made and nobody came close with gameplay.
It is pity that codemasters got this one, i cant belive there is no market for it in 2017 ... even with small tweaks net play for the start. Community is so strong , although i dont know how they would monetize on it . Millenials are fifa and pes generation , i saw recently kid on youtube talking about sensible soccer like the worst game ;)

More
5 years 5 months ago #140302 by Playaveli
Thanks for your story, Petarku. Very nice! :)

More
5 years 1 week ago #141147 by lukasroar
Hi everyone.

I d say I started around 1996 when I was around 8/9 years old.
A new kid moved to my school, he became my best friend and introduced me to Sensible Soccer on the Mega Drive.
Before he arrived I was never really interested in football.

One by one the kids on the estate got involved and in the end there was around 12/13 of us who d run tournaments in my parents conservatory.
We all played on Custom Teams and created our own clubs (Luke United, James Wednesday, Brooksy Town etc) battling against the likes of Sensible XI, Pizza Toppings and In A Pencil Case.

We were all so immersed in Sensible but back then it had its limitations.
It had no transfer system, so we created our own paper based one. We flipped bottle caps for player medicals, we gave each club a budget and even made our own match day programmes (pics on the link).
The level of imagination and dedication shown was crazy

I truly loved that game and even as the years went by and graphics improved etc, we never left Sensible behind. We were about 16/7 when it finally started to fizzle out.

It s hard to describe how much that game meant to me growing up and the level of imagination we all showed.

I never played SWOS, well that s a lie, I did but my PC didn t have a controller and my young brain just couldn t work with a keyboard so I gave up.
I just didn t like the fact SWOS only had one button as opposed to the Sega version which had 3 (Pass, kick and shoot).
However I was envious of all the management and transfer aspects, I d have killed to have those on the Mega Drive.

I wrote a rather nostalgic article (which reads more like a loveletter) for Sensi, a href=http://www.reddit.com/r/sensiblesoccer/comments/9myyj5/an_article_i_wrote_about_sensi_warning_its_long/ if anyone fancies reading it you can view the full things here. /a

More
5 years 5 days ago #141177 by Bomb

It had no transfer system, so we created our own paper based one. We flipped bottle caps for player medicals, we gave each club a budget and even made our own match day programmes (pics on the link).

thats real passion! :D

More
5 years 3 days ago #141191 by lukasroar

thats real passion! :D

Haha it sure was!

Each club was allocated 2 million per week and earned additional funds from selling players.
We were only about 10 years old at that point lol.

I don t think I ve organised anything in my life as well as I did Sensible Soccer!

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds