Different difficulty between AMIGA version, and PC version (played in AMIGA way)

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #143478 by verdealex79
Hi, to make a test this morning I played 6 matches and recorded the full videos (I hope its even better than what you asked).

I always chose the same teams; i picked the toughest team (Brazil) and gave the AI the weakest team (Solomon Islands) to get the AI out of the way and let me "alone with the goalkeeper" most of the time; being both the 2020 versions, I expect the skill of all the players in the field is the same in both versions.

I played:

- 3 times Brazil - Solomon Islands with SWOS 2020 PC Amiga mode - normal
- 3 times Brazil - Solomon Islands with WinUAE running hdf version of SWOS 2020

So, even for Amiga, i used the 2020 version I downloaded here.

Here is the link with the 6 full videos (download them and play locally, one of them cant be viewed "online", duno why):

drive.google.com/drive/folders/15iB56JB9...NP5FLm4jPylVyq65AzJE

With SWOS 2020 PC Amiga mode - normal, I got a 2-0, a 2-0 and a 4-0.
I scored 8 goals in 3 matches.

With WinUAE running .hdf version of SWOS 2020, I got a 10-0, a 8-0 and a 7-0.
I scored 25 goals in 3 matches.

I am probably far from being the best player, but I am the same one when playing both versions. I played all 6 matches in a row using a Speedlink Competition Pro Extra USB joystick.

As you can see, from my point of view, the difference is ENORMOUS. And, to my hopinion, most of it is due to the goalkeeper in god mode: in SWOS 2020 PC amiga mode - normal, he makes waaaay more savings.

I cannot point you to exact shots in the video which seem "strangely" saved; every shot can always be saved or not, but what makes the difference here is the percentage of savings.
To me, it also seems that even the "field players" are better in PC SWOS 2020, but the difference is not as great as the goalkeeper.

It would be nice to have an option to choose if enabling this "goalkeeper god mode" or not. Even what you said about the "Xbox live mode" (a mix of amiga speed and DOS goalkeepers) would be extra nice.

Obviously, when playing a much more leveled game with the AI.. this "goalkeeper god mode" means I rarely score, and when I do, never more than a goal in the same match. Generally, with the actual PC version amiga mode, I score only on penalties, corner kicks or occasionally with a second shot after the saving, while the keeper is off. The game is not fun as it could be.

Thank you as you are going to look into this, and I am here to help with any other test you might think useful.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by verdealex79.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #143489 by adrianozzo
I think the core of the problem resides in the modified tactics. If the defenders are less distanced, someway the AI makes the goalkeeper better. Maybe the performance of the keeper is "decided" by the skills of the shooter but also by the position of the defenders. In years and years of games I noticed that the opponents recognize each time I press the button, and they even "apprehend" my technique so that I can't do twice the same goal in a game. In its simpleness, it's very very advanced and clever, an incredible piece of robotics!
If this can help, I didn't have the goalkeeper problem in SWOS 16/17

More
3 years 10 months ago #143490 by Playaveli

I think the core of the problem resides in the modified tactics. If the defenders are less distanced, someway the AI makes the goalkeeper better. Maybe the performance of the keeper is "decided" by the skills of the shooter but also by the position of the defenders. In years and years of games I noticed that the opponents recognize each time I press the button, and they even "apprehend" my technique so that I can't do twice the same goal in a game. In its simpleness, it's very very advanced and clever, an incredible piece of robotics!
If this can help, I didn't have the goalkeeper problem in SWOS 16/17

Where there might be something wrong to the keepers, rest assured it has nothing to do with default tactics (expert/normal). This is impossible!
SWOS 16/17 was only available on DOS and Amiga, with original executables. SWOS 2020 is a complete port which works without emulators. You cannot compare these.

More
3 years 10 months ago #143492 by adrianozzo
Yes but we are trying to figure out what might be changed. The package is completely different but why should something be different inside the game? It's fascinating though that the players became stronger and not randomly got crazy. Maybe it's better like that, but it would be perfect to choose the level of difficulty. Sometimes I'd want to score tons of goals like in the good old Amiga times

More
3 years 10 months ago #143496 by Playaveli
@verdealex79:

Can you test the game in "original Amiga Screen" mode, too? Thanks! Just to make sure it is not related to widescreen.

More
3 years 10 months ago #143507 by verdealex79
Interesting point. I never tried "original amiga screen" setting in PC SWOS 2020. I sure will try it in next days, and will come back to you with results!

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #143509 by petarku
i will monitor this thread as I also think there is difference in gameplay , also playing just with AI most of the time. I raised this on discord but as I was the only one there with that feeling I thought that maybe I am just imagining things. Good to see that there are more people :)
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by petarku. Reason: typo and clarification

More
3 years 10 months ago #143510 by Playaveli

i will monitor this thread as I also think there is difference in gameplay , also playing just with AI most of the time. I raised this on discord but as I was the only one there with that feeling I thought that maybe I am just imagining things. Good to see that there are more people :)

Would be good if you could do the same "tests" with DOS mode, too. And compare it the DOSbox version.

More
3 years 10 months ago #143513 by petarku
Hi playaveli ,
I am not playing dos version at all , just amiga or eventually xbox 360.
Anyway , I dont have time to capture any data at this moment , that is why I will just monitor this thread.
My kudos to verdealex79 for taking the time to capture details.

Best Regards,
petarku

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #143515 by verdealex79
Hi Playaveli,

I tried PC SWOS 2020 amiga mode - normal with "original Amiga screen" option.

Nothing changed: i always won but scored few goals, not nearly as many as I do in the same match in hdf SWOS 2020.

It seems thats not the source of the difference.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by verdealex79.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds